Headless Chickens

>> May 30, 2007

Today I was wondering:

"Do chickens actually run around after their heads are chopped off?"
Well... I looked it up on YouTube.

And yes... they do.
And it's really funny, but kind of nasty!

My brother saw it in real life and he fainted.

Here is a link to the video. (note: not for the squeamish)

HEADLESS CHICKEN

Gory, huh.

This comment on the video gives an explanation for this phenomenon... Although, I don't know how accurate it is. (it could be either wrong or right)
"As far as i know, the chicken as a whole complete organism is officially dead as soon as the spinal cord in the neck is severed. which would mean that any movement afterwards would just be reflexes/muscle spasms. but technically all the organs and tissue and muscle in the corpse is still alive they just aren't working together as a unit without the commanding presence of the brain."

1 comments:

Marcel June 1, 2007 at 3:29 AM  

Wow. I just now watched the video. . .IT WAS SICK! Interesting, yeah, but, well. . .just wierd.

It felt as if my neck tingled when the guy cut the chicken's head off. I guess I just feel for animals that way. At least for chickens. . .

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP